Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Half way to goal

It has been a month since I committed to lose 50 pounds. At this moment, with 25 pounds gone, I'm half way to my goal. There's been a fascinating transition in my feelings and outlook. It's like one of those commercials, eating more, no stressful exercise, just following a plan and keeping goals in focus.
The approach may seem somewhat haphazard, I'm not following a particular plan; haven't enrolled in any specific program; not keeping records of calories or grams (except for the first 3-5 days); haven't started any new (or old) exercise program. There came a point where I realized that I was obese and, unless something changed, I was destined to die that way.
That was the time when some cost-benefit decisions had to be made. Having gone through more than one serious health crisis, the choice became obvious: if I was to have any quality of life in my remaining years, the weight had to go.
There came a moment when I had to take a leap of faith, recognizing that, even if I failed, I'd be no worse off that if I did nothing! I looked at experiences that I and others had gone through in similar circumstances and decided that a cold-turkey, absolute, scorched earth, approach was in order.
I came up with a 'forbidden list' of things that I would not consume,

My Forbidden List
  • Bread & anything made from wheat
  • Soda pop, any kind
  • Fruit with high sugar contents
  • Fruit juice
  • Anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • Starches
  • Anything with more than a few grams of 'net carbs' 

No comments:

Post a Comment