Monday, August 13, 2012

Celebration of the spirit!

After half-a-century, I found a way to lose weight!
Who'd have thought that hearing a snippet of an interview on an NPR program would result in a life-changing experience? But that's what happened to me. It was July 3rd and a segment of "Talk of the Nation" featured an interview with Gary Taubes. The discussion was about his new book Why we Get Fat: And What to Do About It.  I had to hear more! Fortunately, I was able to catch another segment later and then got the transcript.  Within a few days, I'd downloaded the book into an e-reader, where I was able to get it read in a weekend.
Some of the concepts were completely alien to me; and I had to reread a couple chapters several times before they began to sink in... and I began to realize that I'd been misled for decades, that everything I had been taught about weight loss and control was wrong and that what I thought was a healthy diet regimen was actually causing me to keep an extra 40-50 pounds of weight.
A couple weeks later (two days before my 59th birthday) I celebrated my BMI (body mass index) slipping from 'obese' down to 'over weight'.

No comments:

Post a Comment